Why We All Need an Omega-3 Source In Our Later Years!
As seniors, we should all take essential fatty acids. Studies suggest that Omega-3 fatty acids may be helpful in treating a variety of conditions, however, the evidence is strongest for heart disease and problems that contribute to heart disease such as strokes that are more prevalent for us as we head into our later years. A diet with the right balance of Omega-3 can have higher HDL (good) cholesterol levels. It can reduce LDL (bad) cholesterol levels and reduce blood pressure. An Omega-3 source will help control blood sugar levels which can aid in weight loss.
Essential Fatty Acids (EFA’s)
Essential Fatty Acids (EFA's) are fats that humans cannot manufacture or synthesize by themselves. We must obtain them from our diet. Unfortunately, many of today’s processed and fast foods contain unhealthy saturated fats and our diets seriously lack the healthy fats we need. Just like vitamins and minerals, essential fatty acids are critical to all body functions. EFA's provide the body with the specific nutrients it needs to manufacture cell membranes.
Omega-3 and Omega-6 Fatty Acids Affect Your Growth, Vitality, and Mental Health
There are two families of EFA's, Omega-3's and Omega-6's. Omega-3 fatty acids are made from Alpha Linolenic Acid, and the Omega-6 fatty acids are made from Linolenic Acid. Consuming both Linolenic and Indolence Fatty Acids allows the body to make all the essential fats it needs. These EFA’s are involved in converting food substances into usable energy and then transporting that energy throughout our bodies.
Flaxseed oil is one of the the world's richest sources of Omega-3 fatty acids, containing more than double the amount of Omega-3 found in an equal quantity of fish oils. Flaxseed oil also contains Omega-6 fatty acids. The Omega-3 fatty acids in flaxseed oil are not identical to those found in fish oil. Flaxseed oil contains Alpha Linolenic Acid (ALA), while fish contains Eicosapentaenoic Acid (EPA) and Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA). The body is able to convert ALA into EPA and DHA
Omega-9 Fatty Acid
Omega-9 fatty acid, or Oleic acid, may sometimes be mistaken as an EFA, but it is not, because humans can produce a limited amount. Oleic Acid is the primary Mono-unsaturated fatty acid (MUFA) found in olive oil. Oleic acid is associated with reduction of atherosclerosis (hardening of the arteries), reducing insulin resistance, maintaining glucose (blood sugar) maintenance, and maintaining immune system function.
Omega-3 Fatty Acids Help In Many Ways
Although best known for cardiovascular benefits, Omega-3 fatty acids help in many ways, particularly EPA, may currently be underestimated.
Recent Study Shows Omega-6 May Help Support Brain Function
Omega-6 may protect a person from the most common type of stroke, a new study from Japan suggests.
Ischemic strokes, which occur when a clot or narrowed artery cuts off the blood supply to part of the brain, account for about 80% of all strokes. The other 20% are due to broken blood vessels in the brain and are called hemorrhagic strokes.
Your body has a mechanism to limit plaque buildup, however, the process requires a supply of Omega-6 and Omega-3 fatty acids, which are often in short supply in the body, especially as we age. Basically, your body doesn't produce enough of the chemical to dilate the blood vessels. When we get older we need lots of things and this is one of them.
Omega 3-6-9 Complete™ Supports the Health of all Seniors!